Children in Form One build on the skills developed during the Early Years Foundation Stage. Staff in Form One understand the importance of offering the children a broad and balanced curriculum to further enhance their development.
|8.00am to 8.30am||Morning Club (optional)||Morning Club (optional)||Morning Club (optional)||Morning Club (optional)||Morning Club (optional)|
|8.30am to 8.35am||Registration
|8.35am to 9.00am||Whole School Assembly||House Meetings||Hymn Practice Assembly||PSHCE||Commendation Assembly|
|9.00am to 10.30am||Lesson 1||Lesson 1||Lesson 1||Lesson 1||Lesson 1
|10.30am to 11.00am||Break
|11.00am to 12.00pm||Lesson 2||Lesson 2||Lesson 2||Lesson 2||Lesson 2
|12.00pm to 1.00pm||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch
|1.00pm to 3.10pm||Lesson 3||Lesson 3||Lesson 3||Lesson 3||Lesson 3
|3.10pm to 5.45pm||Aftercare (optional)||Aftercare (optional)||Aftercare (optional)||Aftercare (optional)||Aftercare (optional)|
From the beginning of Form One, the children will have homework every night (with a few exceptions). The homework usually reinforces the work carried out in class that day. The children will occasionally require some assistance with the work, but the idea is for them to become independent workers. Each morning they are to hand their homework into my ‘homework tray’.
The homework timetable is as follows:
Monday Mechanical Maths
Spellings to learn (for a test on the following Monday)
Tuesday Grammar and punctuation
Wednesday Creative Writing
Feel free to call in and see me if you are ever unsure about any of the work which your child is doing.
Form One P. E. lesson is on Thursday. Please ensure that your child comes into school in full Branwood P. E. kit and trainers on Thursdays and Fridays.
The children are expected to read every night and will be heard by myself and Miss MacDonald (Classroom Assistant in Form One) 3 to 4 times a week (with the occasional exception). If your child reads and comprehends the whole book, the next day it will be exchanged for a new one. Please indicate in your child’s reading record book how much they have read and then sign it.
I am always available before and after school if you need to call in for a chat, or if you wish to make a more formal meeting, please arrange with the secretaries. I look forward to meeting you and getting to know the children properly.
Form One Teacher
Lower School Lead
SUMMARY OF LEARNING AREAS
- Addition and subtraction, tens and units, hundreds, tens and units
- Carrying and borrowing
- Times tables 2, 5, 10, 3 & 4
- Recognising numbers greater than 100
- Measure and record lengths, widths
- Time, including days of the week, months of the year and telling time
- 2D and 3D shapes and their properties
- Data handling
- Mental maths
- Individual daily reading
- Grammar and punctuation, including alphabetical order, punctuation, common and proper nouns, verbs and adjectives
- Writing e.g. poetry, recounts, modern rhymes, stories from around the world
- Spelling, a weekly list involving a new sound
- Handwriting, practising correct formation
Foundation subjects including Science, History and Geography
- Growing plants
- My place in the world
- Ancient Egypt
- Toys In The Past
Art and Design Technology
- Painting, still life, water colours, printing, portraits,
- Hallowe’en, Bonfire night, Diwali and Christmas artwork, Monet
- Printing, clay
- Basic introductions to the world’s major religions including, Christianity (the Old Testament stories) and Hinduism
- Become familiar with the world’s major religions and festivals and why they are celebrated